Anyone observe meatless mondays? If so, this would be a great dish to add to the rotation. I promise that as you take your first bite you will think to yourself, meatless? what?! This is light enough for the
warm oppressive days of summer while also being hearty enough when the chill in the air calls for something a little more hearty. This recipe also leaves room for creativity, if you are feeling one veggie over another, you can always substitute one for another.
Inspired by Veggie and the Beast
Thai Lettuce Cups
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, mined
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 5 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 2 large carrots, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 head cauliflower, shredded (food processor works great, here!)
Spicy Peanut Sauce
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup canned light coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, then add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the peppers, mushrooms, and carrots, and squeeze on the lime, soy sauce, and half the salt. Cook, stirring frequently, for 7 minutes.
- Pour in the shredded cauliflower and remaining salt (to taste), and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- For the sauce: Combine all sauce ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, and boil for 3-5 minutes, until thickened.
- Serve with bibb lettuce leaves, crushed peanuts, minced green onions, cilantro, the spicy peanut sauce, and extra sriracha.
This recipe can easily be made celiac friendly by substituting Tamari for the Soy sauce.
I usually serve this with edamame, spicy haricot verts, and/or dumplings.